- Port Wemyss is an ideal place to spend your self catering holiday on Islay, close to the neighbouring village of Portnahaven, the two villages lie only a few minutes walk apart at the tip of the Rhinns of Islay.
- Take the road north west along the wild unspoilt west coast of the island and enjoy the fabulous views with nothing between you an America.
- Alternatively you could take the main road which runs on the shore of Lochindaal to explore the rest of Islay.
- Activities on offer on Islay include pony trekking, birdwatching on the RSPB Loch Gruinart reserve, cycling, walking, kayaking, golfing, fishing and exploring local historical sites.
- Islay Festival of Malt and Music also known as Feis Ile or The Islay Whisky Festival is held in May and offers a wonderful array of entertainment and events.
- The Islay Jazz Festival is held in September and Islay Sessions in November.
- Walk Islay is held in April offering a number of different guided walks off the beaten track.
- The Islay Half Marathon and Ride of the Falling Rain for cyclists are both in August.
- The Islay, Jura & Colonsay show which takes place the second Thursday in August is an enjoyable day out for those enjoying traditional agricultural events. Show day as we call it on Islay is followed that night by a ceilidh dance in Portnahaven Hall.
- The Festival of the Sea also in August, celebrating all things maritime.
Historical Places of Interests
There are many historical places of interest on Islay such as Finlaggan, Kildalton Cross & Chapell, The Oa American Monument and The Museum of Islay Life.